Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Refined Sugar Free, Fat Free and Dairy Free Banana Nut Muffins!


Baking in the kitchen with my little helper!  This is the first thing Lawson asks me for when he wakes up now.  His new favorite word is muffin, haha!  

This is actually a version of one of my favorite recipes that I blogged about a while ago but have made numerous times since (a recipe has to be really good in order for me to make it again and this one fits in that category!).  Normally I make it in a loaf pan and it is even more moist when you bake it that way, but this way is so much easier to serve and with a toddler on my hands, I am all about ways to make anything easier these days.  

Also, this time instead of using chocolate chips, I replaced it with pecan pieces and added some cinnamon for an even healthier and more fall like flavor :)  They turned out delicious and the best part is they are totally guilt free and I don't feel bad about feeding them to Lawson.  However, I still made half of them with the chocolate chips just in case the other way didn't work, so I can write both versions for you and you can choose which one you want to use or make both, like me for a nice little variety!

3 overripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs whites
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but definitely suggested for the pecan version)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or dark chocolate chips plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top

Preheat your oven, get all of your ingredients measured out, then in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the overripe bananas until blended.  Then add the egg whites, vanilla, applesauce and honey with the mixer on low speed.  Next, add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (if you are using the pecan version), all with the mixer on low speed until incorporated.  Fold in 1/2 cup pecans or chocolate chips and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup evenly dispersed on top.  

Use an ice-cream scoop to scoop out each cupcake into a lined muffin pan or pour in a loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes for cupcakes or for 50-60 minutes for a loaf.  Don't over bake!




No comments:

Post a Comment