Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lightened Up Southern Strawberry Shortcake



So, with my mama in town, we couldn't resist baking together and of course we decided on a Southern favorite - strawberry shortcake.  This is my Grandkay's famous pound cake recipe, but y'all know me, I couldn't help lightening it up a bit.  So mom and I decided to use real butter (mom's idea), but to substitute some of it with yogurt (my idea)... YUM!  It was sooo good.  I highly recommend making this recipe now while the strawberries are coming into season :)  Oh and PS this is a super easy dessert to make this summer!



1 1/2 cup butter or smart balance sticks
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
3 eggs
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (this is essential in my opinion!)

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, whip together softened butter and sugar.

Add yogurt.

Add eggs, one at a time.

Add flours. Add extracts.

Grease bunt pan with shortening and flour.

Pour batter into a shortening greased and floured bunt pan. 

Bake at 325 for 45-55 minutes. 

Once cooled flip over onto a cooling rack.  
Later slice it and top with fresh whipped cream and strawberries (soaked in honey if possible).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment