Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What you need to know as a woman about Ovarian Cysts...

Well, I had my first doctor appointment yesterday with my new OBGYN here in Valencia and got some rather upseting news.  I have an abnormally large ovarian cyst on my left ovary, about the size of a small cantaloupe, ranging from my belly button to the bottom of my pelvis (see photo above). Unfortunately it is going to have to be surgically removed via a c-section procedure.  My gyno said that the cyst is so big that it was as if I were 6 months pregnant.  Needless to say, I was scared, upset and then angry.  So, now I am in fight mode and have decided to make the best of the 2 months I have until my surgery.  


Therefore, I will be posting LOTS of tasty and uber healthy recipes, in hope to help shrink my cyst and possibly prevent any of you lovely ladies from getting them, as well.  I will keep updating you along this journey and hope it is helpful to any of y'all who might have experienced or could possibly experience Ovarian Cysts in your life as a woman.  Here is a little info on ovarian cysts that you should all be aware of...


Women commonly experience ovarian cysts, particularly during childbearing years. In some cases these conditions don't cause discomfort, although for some women, hormonal fluctuations can cause significant pain and bloating. They affect as much as 75 percent of women, according to the Mayo Clinic. Ovarian cysts, including polycystic ovary syndrome, are fluid-filled cysts that appear in the ovaries and are fairly common. If you are experiencing symptoms related to fibroids or cysts, natural methods can decrease your discomfort. See your doctor before using any natural treatment approach.


Some natural remedies I have gathered and will be implementing are as follows:
- exercising 3-5 times a week (extra walks with my neighbor!)
- taking HOT Epsom Salt baths for 30 mins. 3 times a week (drawn by my loving husband)
- NO excessive alcohol or caffeine (I will be switching to decaf lattes and only 1 glass of red wine/weekend)
- taking a multi vitamin for women's health
- eating TONS of fruits, vegetables and beans (I will be making exciting salads - inspired by my dear friend Crystal and fun smoothies - starting with a Pin I stole from Nina's Pinterest)
- Greatly reducing my intake of refined carbs, red meats and sugars (this will be easy for some items and really hard for others!)


Here is a great site giving more details on natural remedies for shrinking cysts:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/325927-how-to-shrink-fibroids-cysts-naturally/

No comments:

Post a Comment